Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Soap opera for the financial analyst

Now, I’m not a big newspaper reader, or have an above average ability to analyse matters, but the other day I was reading this article about the Supreme Court asking the 2 Ambani brothers (fine, for the sake of precision , RIL-RNRL) to seek arbitration regarding the natural gas issue. Now I might be wrong, but the reason the case came to the topmost level of our legal hierarchy might’ve been because a contract signed a few years back wasn’t acted upon, or the months of talks outside court didn’t help, or the lower courts and High courts’ decisions didn’t please the parties. But then again, I could be wrong. Isn’t it obvious, the smart and intelligent bunch of people comprising the bench of the SC found the obvious solution to the lingering problem of the billion rupee gas issue – its simple, fight it out between yourselves! What a pity, even the SC doesn’t want to interfere, and wants two parties (who split up a billion dollar empire ‘cos they couldn’t work with each other) to reach a solution privately, over a cup of coffee. Makes me think of all the pretty models who step on stage and give the same answer for any question asked; ‘how do you think the poverty problem could be solved?’ – ‘world peace’. The courts probably have too much on their plate, and don’t want such a petty issue (oh just a few millions) to disturb their peace of mind.
And if any of you asks me what I would do to settle this matter, here’s my solution – ‘world peace’!

P.S. - Puneet, i hope you don't sue me for plagiarizing the title you quoted, if you do, let's go for arbitration.

No comments:

Post a Comment