Saturday, October 17, 2009

The evenness of the odds in death

Yesterday I was just talking with my friends about whether they’d like to travel by a plane or by a ship. The jury was divided, but I realized that I for one would definitely like to fly if given the choice. It has nothing to do with the time saved, or seasickness. It’s a very simple reason – the odds of death are even. Now, if a ship capsizes, and assuming there are not any lifeboats, it’s a sudden and acute accident, then there are those lucky few who know how to swim, or atleast stay afloat till some rescue boats do arrive. This is obviously taking into account that there are no sharks in the water or the water is not frigid enough to freeze you to death in a few hours. I don’t know how to swim. I drowned in a swimming pool for a week before I decided to stay at the shallow ends of the pools, lakes, rivers, oceans, any water body I did decide to visit in my lifetime. So if I do happen to be on that ship that capsizes, then I’d be in the category of people who go down gasping for dear air. But, if I happen to be on an airplane that develops some major snag mid-flight, then the whole bloody thing goes down with the entire passenger list up in flames. The odds are completely even for every person in the latter instance, ‘cos some people know how to swim, but those b%#*&$s sure as hell don’t know how to fly.

Now that I have put this post down I can’t seem to remember why I started it out in the first place, so have a long life and fly, don’t swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment