Sunday, February 26, 2012

London 2012

Day 1 –


Even with the heavy snow in the morning, the baggage delay was only over an hour, not bad. After leaving the nice DC weather, the snow covered roads were a sight to behold. At 9 in the morning, the hotel staff lets me know that the check in time is 2 pm, and no rooms are vacant yet, so much for the ‘hospitality’ sector, and planning ahead. With the baggage dumped at the hotel, and a jet lag, and fog spewing forth from the mouth, I’m out. The friendly Indian guy at the hotel bar let me know how to get the hang of the public transport. So after a short tube ride (for the uninitiated, let the 2 minute old ‘wise one’ educate you, they call the city train as ‘tube’, what we call the metro), I board the double Decker # 15 bus for a nice ride of the city.









Turned out to be one of the handful of people out on this cold Sunday, but I was in the front seat of the upper level of the double Decker, and I did enjoy t a lot. The bus takes a nice round route, thankfully not many people out on the roads today, passed the Tower of London, quite a nice view, sitting right next to Thames. The bus also passes next to St Paul’s Cathedral, beautiful structure, thankfully seems to have survived the years of mankind, and the heavy snow as well!




Got down at some street, I have a very poor memory (maybe it was Piccadilly), just remembered that there was the ‘East India Company’ office there as well, heh! Maybe I'm responsible for the lock on the front door?



I think I’m still a bit tired from all that cold and walking, since I can just remember some tall spires, the snow covered cars parked on the streets, and the red telephone booths. Roamed around the entire day, catching the Westminster Abbey, and the London Eye in the evening. Ended up at the Trafalgar square where they have the Olympic countdown clock erected, and it does look nice in the back of the surroundings. The frozen water at the sides of the fountain there looks quite splendid indeed in the green and orange light. Too tired to do anything, just rested away the rest of the day at the hotel.








No comments:

Post a Comment